Monday, May 19, 2008

An Unexpected Tragedy (Part 1)

Hi, I’m Brody. I’m just a simple kid, nothing out of the ordinary. Normal life, normal looks, normal family. Well, my family isn’t that normal because my parents got divorced quite some time ago and I’ve been living with my mom and bro all this while. Life’s pretty good for me, no troubles, no hassles… yea, simple.

Come to think of it, there is something special (or at least to me) in my life. This girl named Angie. I’ve known her since a few months ago and I really liked her, in fact I’m in love with her. She has the sweetest smile, the cutest personality and on top of it all… a hot bod. Life has been fun and lovely ever since I met her. I’m just so in love with her and nothing could ever change that. I think she is the perfect girl for me and I love her to death. I even think of growing old and have cute little grand children with her. So you see, that’s how much I’m in love with her. Hehe.

My story starts here. Ever since I started going out with her, I’ve been the one driving her to her hostel about 40 minutes from home. She lives close to me by the way. Her classes start on Mondays and ends on Fridays. So, as usual, I’ll fetch her home from hostel on Fridays then we would go out dating on weekends. Weekends nowadays have been great with her. We would just go for movies, hang out in parks, cuddle at home and sometimes, make love to each other. That has always been the time of my life, all the emotions and moaning and… you get my point. Then on Sunday nights, I’ll fetch her back to her hostel and we would miss each other so much that we would sms each other every single day.

Then one Sunday night, while I was driving home from her hostel, I was feeling a little tired as we just finished a late movie. So I drove home as usual trying to keep my head up and eyes open at all times. But as I reached a corner on the highway, I suddenly fell asleep and the car went straight for the curb at about 90km/h. The last thing I felt was a jerk and everything went flying so I guess the car flipped.

I think i was unconscious for a while. As I woke up, I stood up and got out of the car. Funny, I don’t feel anything, my body was light and I haven’t got any emotions. Then all of a sudden I see people all around, some looking panicked and most of them were whispering to one another while staring at my direction. I see an ambulance parked by the side, a few police cars, and a tow truck. Hmmm, why is everyone looking under me? Curious I looked down to see what the commotion was all about.

There, lying under me, was… me? What is this? A joke? Then I heard two policemen whispering to each other beside me. “Kesian budak ni, mati terus sebelum kita sampai tadi. Pergi check tengok ada IC ke ape ape kat dia tak?” Then I realized… I’m dead. Dead as twig, dead as a fish out of water, dead as a rat in a trap, dead. But what am I then? How come I don’t remember a thing? Where am I from? Who am I?

As I tried hard to remember something about me, a girl’s face flashed out. Angie. She was the only thing or only one I remembered. We were in love. But why? Why can’t I remember anything but her? Then thoughts start to flood my head. Does she know about this? Will she blame herself if she found out about my death? I don’t want that, I don’t want her to be so hard on herself. I don’t blame her, it’s my own mistake. Then I realized I have to talk to her, before news about my death gets to her. I want to see her. I want to touch her. I want to tell her that this accident has nothing to do with her and she shouldn’t put any of this on her. I want to tell her that I love her one last time, before it’s too late. Is it too late? I just want to see her one last time, please, just once more; I don’t want to leave her.

I was still standing there… confused. There are still people all around me, noise everywhere. But that doesn’t bother me one bit, all I can think of is Angie and how to get to her. Can I fly? Spirits can fly right? Am I a spirit? Why am I still here? Does that mean that God exists? I have never been religious all my life. As a matter of fact, I’m against religion. So what now? Will I go to hell? I can’t turn back time and embrace religion and confess all of my sins right? Oh my god I’m so confused. God? What if he’s listening? Maybe if I shout loud enough. “God! God! Can you hear me? I need to talk to you!”

Out of a sudden, a child appeared before me. I wasn’t sure if he was a he or a she, but I’ll use ‘he’. His complexion was pale and his facial features were so… normal? I mean, he’s bald, his eyes weren’t too big or too small, nose was just nice as well, he doesn’t look like an eastern nor a western person, and he was… calm. He was wearing a pure white robe and a slight smile on his face. It made me feel comfortable. And for once, I was able to stop worrying about Angie.

I find myself speechless for a moment, quite a moment actually. So I decided to break the ice by asking something. But what do I ask? I have tons of questions and I don’t know where to start. All I could think of is Angie… again. Does he know Angie? Should I ask him? I’m dying here! Then suddenly my lips moved by itself and I asked, “Are you God?”

No comments: